Marchman Act

This procedure involves filing a petition with the Clerk of the court. The petition may be filed by the person’s spouse, guardian, any relative, a private practitioner, the director of a licensed service provider, or any three adults with knowledge of the person. If the person is a minor, the petition may be filed by a parent, a legal guardian, a legal custodian, or a licensed service provider. The court can schedule a hearing within 10 days or issue an ex parte order immediately. The person can be admitted to a hospital, an addiction receiving facility, or a detoxification facility for assessment and stabilization to determine the person’s need for treatment.